MrsSoule

She Reads Everything

I love books. Just staring at my bookshelves gives me a sense of peace. Rather than any specific genre, I love good books. To me a good book is one that at the end leaves me happier and/or smarter.

If Looks Could Chill (Berkley Sensation)

If Looks Could Chill - Nina Bruhns Lots of fast-paced action that keeps you reading, and the romances are just as fast-paced. The two main characters are supposedly untrusting loners and yet after about 6 hours spent together searching the bayou in a kayak and despising each other, they have the most passionate sex of their lives...outdoors on a splintery deck (and yes, kayaks are magical but STILL). Another 24 hours later the so-called jaded heroine has determined she's madly in love and commences with what in a historic romance would be lots of pacing the sitting room and wringing her hands. Meanwhile the hero is going through pretty much the same thing but with a bunch of manly denial thrown in. The secondary female character also falls into bed unbelievably quickly (about 24 hours after meeting the dude) considering she suspects her lover of murdering his ex-fiance, he's her boss, and oh, yeah, she's in love with someone else. Bruhns writes about females the reader is meant to believe are super-strong, career-oriented women who make smart decisions in their work, and yet that image falls apart in their love lives. Fun, but ultimately frustrating.